Sunday, November 9, 2014

Never found the phone.....

The last few weeks have been days of intense expressions of love, anger, confusion and move preparation. Only 9 more days separate today and moving to our new location.  I'm very excited and Gary is least when he remembers that we are moving.  Its very hard to grasp that he can sit in our houses with boxes EVERYWHERE and not remember that we are moving....but he does.
I haven't written in a while, but I would like to revisit the days following Halloween. As you know, Gary lost his wallet, house keys and Galaxy 3 phone.  I stopped the phone service and cancelled credit cards the following day and waited until Monday when the CLUB opened again.  Upon arrival at the CLUB on Monday, I was greeted by the Director and spoke with several of the volunteers.  NO WALLET.  NO PHONE...ugh.

One of the staffers indicated that Gary was having difficulty with his belongings and his costume, so they had put his wallet and keys into a brown bag that also contained his candy and Halloween treats.  My first thoughts were not pleasant.  How could they expect him to keep up with a brown paper bag with which he is not familiar?  I just couldn't believe what I had to go through as a result.

(Later, I realized they only meant well....I really should lighten up.)

Anyway, there was no paper bag to be found at the house.  I tore the whole house apart......I gave up.  The next day, when I came home, his wallet was lying on the counter next to his keys and Halloween candy.  No paper bag. No recollection of the "loss" or the find.  I was elated and frustrated.  The telephone was never found.  The deductible on the insurance was $150.  New phone arrived and is set up.  I made the choice for him to continue to have a phone.....just in case.

Over the weekend, we continued packing the "last minute" stuff.  I was downstairs putting clothes in the washer and heard what sounded like pounding coming from upstairs.  I went up the steps to find Gary on the floor next to his computer, frantically unplugging all the peripherals attached to it.  I yelled, "what are you doing?"

He responded that the computer was making a very loud clacking noise and it scared him to so he unplugged it.  I was furious. It was just one more thing that he had done that day that put me over the edge.  I screamed, yelled, cried and threw a magic marker at him.  He was not hurt but was upset because he didn't know what he had done wrong.  I had planned on shutting down the computer next week, properly labeling all peripherals and packing the computer then.....nothing was going my way.

I thought my chest was going to explode.  I told him to take the dog for a walk and leave me alone so I could calm down.  I cried on the bed...heaved is more like it.  Then, I realized how stupid I was being and prayed for forgiveness.  I prayed to not get angry.  I prayed for ability to bite my tongue and better understand his disability.  (Pastor spoke only to me in church this morning).

I felt an instant peace.  God granted me the peace I was requesting and I had a wonderful, deep nap.  I arose to spend an hour putting the computer back together.  He had unplugged the speakers, printer, and network cable.  I reconnected all but the sound....its only a week and I probably won't need it. 

We had a wonderful evening and a great day at church.  The rest of the day was spent packing, hugging alot and eating mystery food out of the freezer.  The smoothies and coffee pot are ready for morning.....Gary is enjoying his time in the massage chair.  Diva is running around the house chasing a fly.  I am trying to relax a little before bedtime.  I can't wait til this move is over and things are put away in the new house. 

Please pray that Gary will find the move smooth and not get too upset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment