Wednesday, December 27, 2017

"Ms. Ada, Gary cried listening to Pink Floyd."

I went away for Christmas and visited my daughter's other family.  They accepted me with open arms and I am grateful for the time together and for the fact that I was not alone.

I visited Gary today.  He was sitting in the sun room at the memory care unit underneath an exquisite tie dyed blanket.  It fit his original personality perfectly.  I asked one of the caregivers from whence it came and she said they got all new blankets and everyone knew immediately this was the blanket for Gary.  In fact, she told me that despite protests from the other residents that on Christmas she played a Pink Floyd c.d. for him.  She said, "Ms. Ada, Gary cried listening to Pink Floyd."  So, after trimming his mustache and nails, I played some great rock classics for him.  He promptly fell asleep.  As I sat next to him, I felt a loss.....not so much for my husband but for the man who could entertain a room and brighten everyone's day.  His eyes have no life left.  I saw no tears.  I cried no tears.  

Various people who loved him read this blog and contact me privately to ask about services.  They too know he is slipping quickly.   

Meanwhile, I live life.  The family is headed to Disneyland on Saturday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment