Saturday, October 7, 2017

Another day in the Life of Dementia

I'm really tired of being a caregiver, even though I'm not really a caregiver anymore.  Gary lives in Memory Care so I am done with the day-to-day issues of incontinence, medication, dressing, feeding, cleaning, etc.  I only pay for it all and do my best to get through each day knowing that he is about to die.

Today, he was sitting in a more reclined position due to his spinal atrophy.  He seemed more comfortable somehow.  I rolled him into his room and just looked at him.  He was wide eyed and his right eye had mucus around it.  I put drops in his eyes and attempted to clean it.  An eyelash was the culprit.  Imagine for a moment having an eyelash stuck in your eye and being unable to think through trying to get it out or even being able to communicate that you are uncomfortable.  A mere eyelash...I can't imagine something more major. 

I trimmed his mustache really short and eliminated all the food debris dried in it from breakfast.  Apparently no one wiped him off after his newly pureed breakfast.  I trimmed his eyebrows, ears, nose and fingernails.  His hair was perfectly combed.  

I looked straight into his eyes and talked to him as if he was totally there.  I told him that I love him but that I am tired and that I know he is.  He started making a half hacking/half coughing noise.  His face contorted and he started to cry.  I started to cry because I didn't know why he was crying. As quickly as he started, he stopped.  Me, too.


I told him that I will be okay if he wants to check out of this world.  No visible response.  I looked at him to see that if I never see him again alive, would I like how he looks for his deathbed.  He is not the man of yesteryear.  He is old and sick now.  Such a shame.  I look forward to him being restored to his old self.  It can't come too soon. 


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes our loved ones need permission to go on, to let go of these old tents, to be at peace so the process can take it's course, you did the right thing.......May God bless you with the peace that surpasses understanding in this uncertain time. When Gary's time comes, find comfort in these words Rev 21:14 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away......Gary will be made brand new and though we mourn, we do not mourn like those who have no hope.....we have hope in Jesus, and life everlasting, what a joy to have that hope, God bless you....

    ReplyDelete