Wednesday, October 18, 2017

If you can't afford long term care insurance, you can't afford long term care!

Tonight, I will be on vacation.  I am escaping Anaheim, my job, my responsibilities and hopefully, my thoughts for a few days.  I have done all I can do for now to take care of things while I'm gone.  Don't ask where I'm going....just trust that it is away and near the ocean.

I visited Gary on Saturday.  I fed him his pureed meal of chicken, carrots and potatoes.  I tasted it.  Not too bad.....apparently it is real food and it is just blended.  He ate every bit.

When I arrived, he was sitting in a reclined position with headphones on his head and his eyes tight shut.  The music playing was a Rock Pandora station....Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Credence Clearwater, etc.  I sat there for about 1/2 an hour and watched him.  He showed no reaction what-so-ever. When the food came, we stopped the music and he opened his eyes. 

I was thinking.  I can escape for short periods of time.  His only remaining escape from anything unpleasant is to die.  I talked to the manager of the unit and told her I was going to be a few hours away and to call me if needed.  She said that "we shouldn't need to....he's not there yet."  She also confirmed what I have always been told.  He will probably die from pneumonia or asphyxiation. 

Front temporal Degeneration is a cruel disease. It has no selection process for who gets it.  It could be anyone.

Financially, I am close to being out of resources to pay for his care.  Very close.  It is so scary. 

The advice I would give families is to get long term care insurance while you can afford it.  If you can't afford long term care insurance, you can't afford long term care.  Think about it. 

2 comments: