Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sewage spill and Dementia!

One of the caregivers (angel) at Gary's Memory Unit has been there for quite some time.  She only works part time now as she has started another career.  In talking with her yesterday while we were feeding Gary and Nancy, she indicated that she loves the residents so much that she can't bear not working there.  Then she mentioned that one of the residents had died earlier in the month.....I didn't miss her not being there.  I guess I don't pay as close attention as I used to do.  I felt a sadness for the angel and a great joy that the resident who passed on will never be in anguish or confusion again.

Then, I looked at Gary.  He was trying to say something but could only muster a grunting noise.  I told the angel about him saying words so clearly earlier in the week.  She also indicated that she has not heard his voice in months.

His eye was watering so I put some drops in it trying to wash it out.  He cannot put his head backward anymore so it was difficult.  I think I made a difference.

There is a special agony that exists when I drive into the garage at the Unit.  I never know what I'm going to find once I enter.  Usually, it is nothing unusual, but one day I will walk in to either find my husband very ill or not there at all.  What will I do with the furniture in his room?  What will I do with his clothes?  I know.....charity.

Yesterday, as I left the unit, I decided to stop by the bathroom before I ran my errands.  The toilet would not flush.  I reported it to the desk attendant.  I walked down to the garage and heard a loud leak, more of a pouring of water.  After looking around, I saw what appeared to be a broken pipe in the ceiling of the garage pouring water down into the garage.  I went back upstairs to also report this near flooding situation.  

I went back downstairs to leave and realized the distinct smell of sewage.  No wonder the toilet wouldn't flush....there was a break in the line.  Another visitor was going upstairs so I told her to tell the attendant about the sewage.  As I drove off, I realized the irony of the situation.  Dementia has created so much crap in the lives of Gary and Ada that it is appropriate that a sewage line would break in front of me while visiting him.  An appropriate symbol for a shitty disease.  When will it be over?

2 comments:

  1. Ada, even during this horrible stage of the disease, you made me smile with those last sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughter is the only way through this horrible disease.

    ReplyDelete