Sunday, September 25, 2016

Today, I cried with Joy.

The Calvary Chapel Minister and several members of their congregation come every Sunday to visit the residents at "The Happy Place".  I got there today about 50 minutes before them to cut Gary's nails and have some private time.


When we were in his room and I was cutting his nails, I talked to him about how angry I was feeling today.  I got very emotional and cried while I was doing the filing.  He just looked at me and I realized how absolutely silly and selfish I was being.  I will not do that again as there is no release in talking with him anymore.


He seemed very alert today.  That was confirmed when the guitarist started playing "Blessed Assurance".  I was singing along and realized Gary was too.  He sang every word with his eyes tight shut. 




"This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long..."


Then, the guitarist played "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus".
 "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Refrain:
O precious is the flow
that makes me white as snow;
no other fount I know;
nothing but the blood of Jesus.

2. For my pardon this I see:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
For my cleansing this my plea:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
(Refrain)

3. Nothing can for sin atone:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Naught of good that I have done:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
(Refrain)

4. This is all my hope and peace:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
This is all my righteousness:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
(Refrain)  "

(thanks to Jerry and Vonna Copp for playing this song so frequently at Cornerstone Church in Elk Grove Ca.   I know Gary was hearing their voices today!)


Gary never opened his eyes but sang every word as he held my hand tight.  It felt so good to know that he still has some of those old memories in him and that he still loves Jesus.


As the pastor prayed, Gary was very in tune and repeated several phrases along the way and recognized Psalm 23.


It was a settling moment.  Even though we don't pray together every night like we did, there is some solace in knowing that we did for years.  I am convinced the salvation for him is there.  I cried with joy today.



2 comments:

  1. Pastor Trent is a great guy, I'm so glad you were able to sense his presence today

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete